Originally, it had the most hideous avocado green paint and a little rust, but I gave it a good sand, and a fresh coat of sealing primer and paint to start out with.
The next step, once the shell had been prepped, was to cut out plywood to fit. I simply measured the round openings and used a nail and string to measure and draw the circle onto the plywood. My husband then used a jig saw to cut the circles out of the plywood.
For the seat we used a thicker 1/2" plywood for a sturdy spot to sit, and for the back we needed 2 exact cuts of 1/4" plywood.
The next step is to start covering your plywood cutouts. For the seat, I first wrapped the wood in dacron wrap which is a spongy poly batting. You can also choose to add a thin layer of foam for extra comfort, but I chose not to do that because I didn't want the seat to appear too thick. After stapling the batting around the seat, I then went on to the seat fabric.
I chose this fun, upholstery weight green leopard weave.
I used the same method on the front of the back rest. Wrapped in dacron batting, then covered in fabric. I chose to use a contrast fabric(leftover from my ottoman project) just to add to the fun factor of the piece.
Then, to finish the open back off, you will simply cover the second identical piece of 1/4" plywood you cut out. This time you don't need to add extra batting because it's just a finishing piece, there is no need for comfort. Of course, you can always add it if you want a plusher look, but be careful not to make it too thick otherwise your two circles will not fit into the back of the chair. Stapled sides of the plywood are sandwiched in the middle with finished fabric sides facing the front and back of the chair.
There we have our finished front with contrasting fabric. And below, the finished back with small screws to hold everything in tight.
This really is an easy project from start to finish and I think it turned out to be a cute little addition to the vanity.