Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Unfinished Business

Remember the 2 bathrooms I renovated with my brother and sister-in-law?  Well before those, came mine.  Last summer my husband and I decided to take on the task of tiling our guest bathroom.  This was something we had not done before, but with the projects we had done together we were confident we made a good enough team to get it done!  It all started with a frisky little feline....




(He's a cute little booger isn't he?!)


You see, Salem doesn't like to miss out on any action.  When my husband and I are hauling something big in, like a piece of furniture, and we have the door wide open, he loves to be in the middle of everything and usually bolts out the door to eat grass.  But he's an indoor kitty so this is not allowed!  I promise I'm getting back to my point...usually we have to close him up in the bathroom to avoid squishing under foot, or missing kitty.  Hence this....
 
See that lovely hole in the lovely sheet of linoleum?  Yes, thanks Salem.  So as you can see, we needed a little updating, and freshening up!  Out with the old, and in with the  new!


I chose a white on white vintage style hexagon tile.  I also chose to customize it with a green glass tile border.  It was a lot of work, as I had to lay out every single tile, mark where the border would go, and cut the white tiles out so I could lay the green in.  I'm really happy with the way it turned out.  Wish I had thought about how fun it would be to clean white tile with white grout ;)  Oh well, you live and learn!



The problem is, we kind of ran out of steam after all that!  I'm a little embarassed to say that we have yet to add the quarter round to finish it off!  So with the next couple of days forecasting in the upper 60's to mid 70's I am vowing to finish this project!  I am pretty handy with a miter saw and the nail gun I got for Christmas, so I think I can get this done while hubs is at work!  Maybe I'll just suprise him ;)  Wish me luck!

7 comments:

  1. Love that tile! :-)
    So happy to connect.
    xx Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow~ i love that kind of tile!
    wee laid tile in our kitchen last summer and are trying to get up the courage to do our master bath!
    your blog is inspiring :)
    so glad it's getting warmer too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks great! I want to re-tile some stuff in my house but I'm terrified.

    When I started reading this post I got a little worried - I remembered an article from a long time ago where a woman's cat got sealed under the new bath tub during a renovation. They found him a few days later, thankfully still alive! I'm glad your story didn't go that route!

    ReplyDelete
  4. super cute! white grout/tile is my issue too. it's so outdated, i need something with funk!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that looks great! I love hexagon tile for bathrooms and I love the little green border. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wish i'm able to do my own tiling too! the color are adorable!

    ReplyDelete